7/7/08

Day 6 Safari










Our wake up call was a man asking us to wake up outside our tent. Since there are no phones at the camp, we had to have a different type of wake up call. That was a great wake up call. The fig tree has no TV’s and they switch off the power at night, so it is the darkest night I have been in. I had decided that Megan would stay home with Gram for our morning game hunt. I was brushing my teeth near where she was sleeping. She sat straight up in bed and asked my what I was doing. I told her I was brushing my teeth. Then she asked where I was going. I told her on a game drive and Gram was going to stay home and let her sleep. She jumped up in bed and said, “I want to go!” In no time, she was up and dresses and ready to go before me. I think she is having a great time and really enjoys riding around on the plains. We saw lots of animals again. We even saw lion cubs, and mom’s playing. 10 lions were in one group moving slowly across the plains. Megan began taking pictures to day and she was so excited. She took some great shots of the animals. We were very luck that we saw a leopard in a tree and then watched him climb down. We saw hippos, water Buffalos, hyenas (Megan’s like these best!), more giraffe, elephants, and lions….all before breakfast!
We had a bush breakfast in the bush near our camp. They set up tables and food for us to eat out in the wild. After breakfast we had some down time. Megan wanted o hang out on our porch and watch for animals. We saw an elephant come down to the water near our tent and drink. She loved sitting there and enjoying the view. She went swimming, but it was too cold. She liked candlelight. At night when they turn to electricity off, you have candles in your tent. She wanted to do everything by candlelight. She made roasted Baboon treats. We had watched a baboon across the river in front of our tent. She thought if she left them treats she would see them better. After lunch, John led us in a short worship service. Megan, Pops, and I went up in the tree house. We were able to watch a baboon eat from a bird feeder. It was huge and a bit scared. Megan wanted to see the baboon up close. I was a bit scared. They have big teeth. Then we got ready for our afternoon game drive.
As we were getting ready, a monkey broke into George and my dad’s tent. They pulled the Velcro door and got away with some popcorn and a Snickers bar. There was a mom and her baby was hanging on her front…so cute.
We saw an elephant herd moving up the hills, Diki Diki (a small antelope and hard to spot), lions, giraffe, water buffalo, Eland, and many more. Lions growled at us for being too close and an elephant spread it’s ears wide to warn us we were too close. As we headed back to the camp, we saw the most breath-taking sunset. She said this was the greatest thing ever! At dinner, the Maasi men came with a birthday cake for mom. Her birthday was back in March, but her present was a balloon ride tomorrow. The surrounded her and danced, sang, and jumped. The Maasi men can jump very high. It scared Megan a little, but she enjoyed it somewhat. Seeing a Maasi carry a birthday cake while dancing was very funny. It was a great surprise for mom and we all enjoyed the dancing.
Megan has fallen asleep fast each night.
She has been great. She really loved the safari. She would get so excited to see animals.
Tomorrow some of our team will go on a Hot Air Balloon ride and the others will go out on another Safari. This was my dad’s birthday gift to my mom on her 60th birthday.
Driving on the plains is breath taking. I love to ride with the wind in my hair and the sun on my face! Each day we are in Kenya is seemed to get better and better. We were lucky to see so many animals and have such a good time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
You would not believe how much I have been looking forward to hearing about the safari. How many pictures did you all take? I can't even begin to guess. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about the trip from you and your Mom. I could seriously be entertained by your stories and adventures for a long time. I feel like I am getting to know you, Megan, just by having this communication with you through your blog. Your Mom knows me and she can tell you how much I love to write so I hope that you enjoy hearing from me. You will have so much to tell your Dad and Kyle when you get home and I know that they must really miss you and your Mom. Take care, be safe, and I look forward to more soon. Isn't God great?
Marsha

Chad S said...

Megan,
Your stories seem so unreal! I couldn't imagine seeing all of those animals in their natural habitats. The lion cubs were one of my faviorite pictures that you took! I don't know if those animal noises at night would put me straight to sleep though... I think it would only make my mind start to wonder!! : ) Continue to have such a great time - I'm really starting to look forward to you sharing all your photos when you return.
-C
P.S. Is the John in your story John Sylvester-Johnson (sorry if I misspelled!)? Just curious - I saw him and Joy's picture on the main blog - I used to go to Grandin Court with them...