7/16/08

Good Bye Kenya...Hello America



Today we tried to sleep in but due to some other guests at the Guest House, we were up bright and early. We went to breakfast and then went to Church with Patrick. I have not been to a church so big. It has 3 services that each brings in 5,000 members each. We were lucky that the Bishop was there to preach. There was a lot of singing and then preaching. It was a wonderful experience. We were not the only first timers at the church that morning. When we went to leave, it found that cars had parked all around us. It was quite a sight. All we could do was wait until the cars around us moved. We headed back to the Guest House where Ben picked us up around 12:30. We had planned for him to take us by the downtown market, but it was closed.
Megan was giddy with excitement for going home to see her brother. She decided she would hug him first. So we headed to the Airport…almost 6 hours before our plane was to leave. Patrick and Pamela meet us for tea and a snack. Around 3:00 we went into the airport and began waiting. Now that it is over it doesn’t seem so long. We looked around at the shops and ate another snack. Then it was time to board. Everything went smoothly. The flight was quick with no real delays. Megan is an amazing travel partner. We both slept from Addis Ababa to Rome, or short ground stop and a bit after we started our second leg. Then Megan was wide-awake. They seemed to wake you up every 2 hours to eat or to do this or that. It was hard to get any rest. Megan was so excited to be going home. She was a great traveler. She did not complain one time. She was never whinny or unwilling to do what the group was doing. I am so proud of her for this reason and many more.
We made it to the USA and Megan got to stamp her own immigration form. Megan kept breathing in heavy and say, “Smell that USA Air! Just Smell it!” I think she was happy to he home. Customs was a breeze and then we went to the gate for our flight to Florida. We told Joy, John and Toni good-bye. Megan said she felt sad. She was going to miss seeing them everyday. I am grateful for the group embracing Megan and finding a special place in her heart. Thank you for taking the time with her and making the connections.
We were blessed to go to Kenya safely, but even more blessed by the people who were with us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan,

Welcome home!!!
I hope that you will enjoy your family reunion with Dad and Kyle and your time in Florida!

Pastor Steve and your Peakland friends

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan and Bethany: We are so glad that you made it back to the USA! Welcome home. I know that your experience is something you will never forget and that God will use this experience for His glory in your future. I have so much enjoyed reading all of your stories and will be praying that you will have a wonderful trip to Florida. Take care and know that we will be so excited to see you and hear first hand all your wonderful stories about how God used you in the Mercy Care Centre and how the children have blessed your life. Love and hugs.

The Greenes in North Carolina
Lee Ray, Beth and Lydia and Sarah in Poland

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I am glad you are back in the US safe and sound. It sounds like you had a great trip. I enjoyed reading about your adventures each day. I bet Kyle was just as excited to see you. Have a great time in Florida.
Love, Mrs. Elliott

Anonymous said...

Megan,
Welcome home!! I know you were excited to get back to the U.S. and to see your family. I bet Kyle missed you as much as you missed him. Thanks for taking me on your trip through your blog. I enjoyed hearing about all of your adventures. I am sure that this will be an experience of your life that you will never forget. You will have these memories forever. I think that you will be remembered in Kenya too as you made quite an impression on people. I am glad that you and your Mom were able to make this trip together and God really seemed to bless you. I look forward to hearing more about the trip when I see you in person and I definitely can't wait to see more pictures. Take care!
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan and Bethany,

Glad to hear you had a wonderful experience in Africa and are home safely!

Megan, you're a very lucky girl to have this experience at such a young age. You probably don't remember me, but I worked with your mother before you moved to Lynchburg.

I began following your blog just as you left for Africa, but we've been on vacation and traveling to baseball games and I was out of touch for a while. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and welcome home! Tell everyone hello.

Lisa, EC, Derek and Jordan Shifflett

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!
I felt like a virtual traveling companion. Thanks for taking us on a wonderful adventure!

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I enjoyed reading about your many adventures in Africa! NLA is so proud of you! You will have to tell us even more...Welcome home and see you soon! :)Mrs. Herbert