7/9/08

Day 9 A Calm Day at the School




Today was an amazing day! We began the day early and it was worth getting up for. Our day began with doing a lesson on The Hungry Caterpillar. I had planned to work with just one class. It was a shock when we walked into the classroom and there were 125 students. It was going well until we started the activity. Then it felt out of control. I guess making butterflies with 125 students at a time is insane. Then we worked with another class and it went so smoothly. We made our butterflies using coffee filters, tongue depressors, and pipe cleaners. Later that day, I saw the pipe cleaners made into glasses.
Another group went to the orphanages and had a great time. Megan decided to stay at the school with me and she was in heaven. She played with small groups of children all day. I turned to check on her one time and she was standing in front of 5 or 6 children teaching them a dance or maybe it was the Hokie Pokie. It was the cutest thing.
Patrick, the principal, was pulling into the school and one of the “outsiders” was waving him into his parking spot. It was great!
Many of the students had gone to a music and dance competition. Mercy Care Centre had won 1st place in 3 events as of this afternoon. The competition goes on 3 days. Our students are so gifted and talented.
A team came from Feed the Children. This group provides all the food for our students. We thanked then and told them how much we appreciated all they have done. One gentleman from Feed the Children took a liking to Megan and gave her a beaded necklace he used on his cell phone. She was so proud of it and wore it all day.
Megan and I went to help in the clinic. Megan found a place on Toni’s lap, for which I am grateful.
We had worship and Joy and John lead the group in communion. It was a great way top end our day!
Except, we had games to play. Every Wednesday afternoon, the school plays games in the courtyard. They do exercises and then play games. My friend, Toni, had brought tennis net and balls. She taught the teachers how to play tennis and then they taught the children. It was so great to watch! It is the first time tennis had been played in the Valley.
Megan is amazing and is really feeling comfortable with being her. She is missing her dad and brother. We have been working very hard and she has been a trooper. She loves being with the children and is so curious about then and what they are doing. The children play this rock game, which is like Jacks. Megan wants to be able to play it, but she just can’t get it. She has not given up. She is really trying to be able to play.
Tomorrow we are heading to see friends and have tea. The change in our routine will be good.
Thanks for all your comments and we will try to answer them soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
It sounds like an interesting day! I am sure that the children enjoyed "The Hungry Caterpillar." It sounds like an incredible feat to make butterflies with that many children at one time. I bet you have such a good time playing with the children. I am sure that they can learn so much from you and that you can learn from them as well. I hope that I will get to talk to you and hear more about your trip when you get home. I really do love reading your blog and I thank you for sharing with me. God bless all of you for your willingness to share of yourselves. Take care and continue to enjoy the rest of your trip!
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Hi,Megan and Bethany,

Wow - 125 caterpillars in one class - that's amazing. (What will it look like when they turn into butterflys?:) I never did learn the Hokie Pokie, so maybe you can teach it to me when you get back to Lynchburg:):) I'm so glad to hear that the music group did well with the competition.

Each day I am impressed with how much y'all do and how many different ways you find to touch people's lives for good.

I hope that you have a nice day visiting with friends tomorrow.
I think that this is Esther's family that you will be visting. If so please share my good wishes with them.

Thanks!
Pastor Steve

Anonymous said...

Trey and Hunter loved the Safari Pictures so much that we made a huge Safari Train in our driveway with sidewalk chalk. I think we used every last piece making the tracks and all of the animals we could remember seeing in your pictures. I took a couple of pictures and will be sure to show you when you return.
Keep up all of the great work you are doing Megan!!!! Don't be surprised if I ask you to teach the Hokie Pokie for me next year in class!! Lots of hugs!!!!
Mrs. Rice

Anonymous said...

OH WOW! You certainly have been busy since I last checked your site! Thank you for showing the children of MCC so many new games, art projects, dances and sincere caring Megan. You will always carry these precious memories forever. The children will not forget our little missionary from Lynchburg either. You just make me smile often sweetheart. I love and miss you! Thanks so much for taking us all on your trip.
oxoo Love to you and your family,
Purnell

Anonymous said...

Megan,
It looks like you are having an amazing experience in Africa. I enjoyed reading and looking at all your pictures today. I am sure you are an inspiration to everyone you meet.
We may have to paint some African animals in Art this year! The butterflies sound fun to! The creativity to turn them into glasses-wonderful!
Take Care. I look forward to reading the rest of your entries.
Mrs. Cox

Chad S said...

Megan,
Whew, day 9 already?!?! Sounds like you have accomplished so much in only 9 days! What an experience to be able to play and learn from friends your age half-way across the world. I bet your having a blast. I have had soo much fun looking forward to each of your posts! But I leave tomorrow and will be away from the computer for a week - so I'll have a lot to catch up on when I get back! But know I'll still be thinking about you and your team mates! Hang in there!

-C

(If you can find a baby tiger... I've always wanted one : ) Just kidding ; )