7/8/08

Day 8 Field Trip









Megan as she was waking up said, "If the basketball team from Lynchburg had gone to Mercy Care Centre’s Sport day they would get better and faster!" Then we hung out until Patrick came to pick s up. We arrived at the school early and it was nice, because we have been arriving right at break and it is crazy.
Megan learned how to balance a basket on her head. She worked for about 30 minutes and was able to walk across the schoolyard with it balanced on her head. She played several games with the “outsider.” She entertained them with her tricks and games. Today was the day Megan took her first group to the Animal Orphanage. The children were so excited. We took 240 students and 13 adults in 3 buses. The bus I was in had 80 children and 7 adults in a bus with 27 seats. We were tightly packed in. On all the buses, the children sand songs most of the way to the Animal Orphanage. The best part was watching the children take in the city and all the sight we take for granted. They loved the airport and when one of our other buses passed, they waved and cheered. Children add so much joy to the world. Today the children were wonderful…excited about our trip.
At the orphanages, we divided into groups. We saw lions, cheetah, leopards, monkeys, baboons, and more. It was a great trip. The children asked lots of questions about what type of animals we have in the US. The thought it was so funny that we did not have elephants or giraffe wondering the country.
We returned to school for lunch. The children in the preschool had porridges first thing in the morning, but most were complaining they were hungry.
Megan was proud what she could offer the children. She was excited that she was able to bring them. Tomorrow, another group will go.
After we went back o the school, we decided to head to the Maasi Market. Megan did a great job. She did not leave my side and picked out a few things to buy. The market can be crazy, but we all had a good time.
There were several women who were begging for money. Megan had lots of questions as to why they were begging and it opened a whole conversation about poverty and working hard. I tried to explain that sometimes people have hard times and need help. We ended up buying them some food instead of just giving them money.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I am really enjoying reading about all of your adventures and the great things you are doing for the children. Take Care,
Mrs. Elliott

Anonymous said...

Megan,
It sounds like another exciting day! It is great that you all were able to take so many children to the animal orphanage. I am sure that it was a really special field trip to them. We are so fortunate and take so many things for granted that mean so much to these children. You are truly a "little missionary." God bless you as you continue to minister to the people there. I can't wait to hear more of your adventures. Maybe you and your Mom should write a book because this is all very interesting and entertaining to read.
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan,

What a wonderful safari you have had! I had so much fun reading about your adventures and seeing the photos. I don't know if I could choose a favorite part, because every day was special in its own way I liked the Maasi bringing your grandmother a birthday cake. It must have been thrilling to be so close to lions (my favorite animal). And to see all the other animals! And I laughed about the monkeys eating the candy.

I thought it couldn't be any better than the safari, but then I read about today and your taking so many children to the Animal Orphanage. What a wonderful gift for all the children! It sounds like they enjoyed the whole experience, including the bus ride. I am so glad you sold the animals so that the children could have this experience. (My giraffe is on my desk looking at me even now as I type these words!)

Tomorrow the children will have their music competition. I hope that they do well and that you have a great day!
Love,
Pastor Steve and all your Peakland frineds

Anonymous said...

What an awesome feeling you must have Megan to know that because of all of your hard work and dedication, you were able to take sucha huge group of kids on an awesome field trip. I am so very proud of you and the boys are constantly asking about you.

Talk to you soon!!!! Mrs. Rice

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much and I wish I could come with you. Come home soon and swim in my pool. I love all the pictures of all of the animals, and can't wait to see more when you get home.
Love, Hunter Rice

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan,
I hope you see more animals everyday. Keep your eyes out for a snake for me. If you get a good picture of it I can scare my dad with it, hahahahaha. See you soon.
Trey

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I'm glad you're having a great time. It looks like you've made a great impression on everyone. I got to see Charley and Kyle last night and they miss you too. Have fun and we'll talk to you later.

Bradley

Anonymous said...

MegBert,
We were so excited to read about your safari trips and field trip for the kids. We can't wait to see you tell your stories in person so we can see the excitement on your face. Thank you sooo much for sharing with us. Keep having fun and making a difference for all those children. We love you! ;>)

Uncle Bo, JuJu, Jack & Carlie

Anonymous said...

Megan
I am so excited for you. You are really getting to do some neat thing, I am so glad you are enjoying all your adventures. It also nice to read about all the nice things you are doing for your new friends. I look forward to reading more.

Love your "Cuz"
Renee

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I understand why you don't want to miss a thing! It will be something you will never forget. What a great team you and your mother make!!